Jun 5, 2014

What I am Up To - New Mini Assignment for June MATS Boot Camp



It is June and it is getting hot over here...the lake has warmed up and this weekend I am planning to take the first plunge of the season. 

A new month means a new mini assignment for the MATS Boot Camp. Of course we all have been very curious what new topic Lilla has chosen for us and I would not have guessed right with this one - again. It is a take on nautical : Ships in a bottle ! It includes sea creatures, nautical stuff...everything around the sea. I would say it is a perfect theme for summer. Not sure how I will work it but I love it. It is a topic where details can be important which I really like.


Pirate Ship in a bottle ( source )

And I really love this gigantic ( 4.7 x 2.8 m ) ship in a bottle by artist Yinka Shonibare. Do you see the pattern on the sails ? 
"The richly patterned sails were inspired by Indonesian batik, mass-produced by Dutch traders and sold in West Africa".
If you have time and you are a pattern lover like me, you must check out Yinka Shonibare's work...beautiful patterns everywhere and I also like his collages.

Nelson's Ship in a Bottle by Yinka Shonibare at National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London/UK

Here you can see my first sketches...hope I find time to add many more over the weekend before we receive the main assignment on Monday.

copyright©Pattern Jots by Maike Thoma 2014
Sketches "Ship in a Bottle"

Happy Thursday !


No comments:

Post a Comment